Monday, March 27, 2006

A Case of the Mondays

Ever feel like you need a weekend to recover from your weekend? It started out simply. Friday night Kibibi, Jill, and Kat joined me and Donna for what turned into a What Not to Wear marathon. This may be vain but Kibibi and I started to wish we didn't dress so well just so we could get the pricey new wardrobe. And then we started talking about how maybe we could go buy ugly clothes at a resale shop and wear them for a few months just while the "undercover" taping goes on. I mean, it could happen, right? It was a fun night all in all. We intended to watch a movie but somehow WNTW and chocolate frosting were enough.
Saturday morning Donna and I went on one of our Hike for Discovery group hikes at a forest preserve in South Elgin. It was a nice hike, not too challenging, as is usually expected for the flat terrain known as Illinois. Our fellow hikers seem pretty nice and I'm looking forward to getting to know them better in the months ahead. This Saturday we'll be hiking at the Indiana Dunes. Normally I equate the dunes with wearing my bikini and getting a tan but I'm open to new memories. We left the hike a little early as I had a friend's wedding in the afternoon. I thought I'd know maybe one other person besides the bride but it ended up turning into a mini highschool reunion. Which is amazing since that usually only happens at Muldoon's. I'm never sure if it's a good thing to run into people you haven't seen since graduation. Once you've gone through the checklist (job, marriage, kids), do you really want to keep talking to these people? Luckily, the answer Saturday afternoon was yes. After the wedding I kicked up my heels at Cadillac Ranch. I still hate country music but I love line dancing! Who would have ever guessed? I still need to learn how to two step but I just may have mastered Apple Jack, which is especially fun to do during The Devil Went Down to Georgia. Let me know if you want a free demonstration!
Sunday morning I performed in an ensemble at church. The combination of a late night dancing and an early morning rehearsal (7:15 am!) means I was a little tired. Still, it's always fun to perform and we sang a really energetic, gospel-like song, got my energy right back up there. Pastor Ron's sermon was really good, titled Going after God's Best: Gonna Take Courage. How often do we settle for less than what God has in mind? It was encouraging to know that striving to be in the center of God's will is exactly where He wants me to be. As many things that are unknown in my life right now, God has it all under control. I can do all things through Him who gives me strength. So even though I seemed to drag a bit today, I was able to provide good care to my patients and families. It's incredible to know that God is right there with me, feeling the pain of those I'm serving and empowering me to counsel and encourage them.

No comments: