Saturday, March 18, 2006

Youthful Looks

I admit it. I may not actually look 26 years old. But I promise you two things: 1) that is my real age and 2) it is never good to tell someone how young they look unless they are over 40. It's kind of like asking a woman if she is pregnant only to find out she has weight issues. Let me illustrate. When out to dinner for my mom's birthday, my friendly mother saw some friends at a nearby table and went to say hi. Mom is always proud to introduce her daughter and is quick to point out that I am a social worker, often before anyone has a chance to inquire as to what I do for a living. Unfortunately, this time she was not quite quick enough. The offender sweetly asked if I was home from college for Christmas break. Now most people would recover and apologize after learning that I graduated from college almost 4 years ago. However, the table of women proceeded to comment on how they never would have guessed I was this old and how young I look and how, of course, I will appreciate it someday. Yep, it is my curse, and boy am I banking on the fact that it will one day be my blessing! For now, I soldier on. When my patients raise an eyebrow at my fresh face, I give my credentials cheerfully and proudly. After a few minutes of conversation, I can usually win them over; I am such a sweet young lady after all! Of course the next thing I know they're suggesting that they set me up with their sons, grandsons, nephews, neighbors, or any nice single man they know. Now there's a compliment!

4 comments:

the dreamer said...

Yay!! Welcome to the blogging nation, er, universe. I thought it was unlikely, but it's not unlikeLeigh. I am humbled and honored to be featured in the link list between Demetri Martin and Carlye. It's like I'm toasting traffic in Tijuana.

And be proud to be young-looking Sox fan.

the Gat said...

muhahaha. we found you. can you find us?

Also, i have something for you, from the Isobel Campbell show.

HopefulLSW said...

Hee hee. UnlikeLeigh. One of my better observations if I do say so myself. You know, there's nothing quite like toasting traffic in Tijuana. Or toasting God with Caribou while rehearsing with the worship band at church. But I digress...
P.S. to the Gat. I love prizes!

Ingrid said...

I was in my final year in college (aged 24), training to be a therapist/counsellor, when a teacher on my placement at a high school asked if I left school last year. It was like an epiphany for me, as I realised 'what person would seek help from someone who looked 18'! I then chose a different path for life - social work :) Now, at 37 I think I it's safe to say having my two children have aged me, and now I look at least 35. Sadly I don't get asked for id when buying a bottle of wine any more. However I do know what you mean, looking younger than you are does have it's benefits, but it also has it's downfalls. All the best with your future endeavours.