Thursday, April 20, 2006

Being patient- not one of my spiritual gifts

God has been teaching me about patience lately. And I have to tell you I am more than ready for this lesson to end, which probably means that I'll be learning patience for a while to come. Something about being patient while I learn patience...

I know that God's timing is so much better than my own. I also know that my hopes and dreams are not bad in and of themselves. All I'm asking for is that God help me out with one of them. Just one! He's not ready for me to get married? All right, then off I go to Ireland, land of leprechans, Guinness, and unmatched beauty (at least that's what the pictures tell me). No Ireland? OK, I'll put the money into my dream home! What's that God? Don't buy a dream home because I'm getting married to my dream man? Well, if you say so! Am I really asking for too much? I don't think so. I'm ready for some time of blessing!

At the same time, I don't want to miss out on the best by settling for the immediate or almost as good. So I have to sit back, pray a lot more, and trust once again that God really does have it all figured out. In the end, it's not about me. It's about bringing glory to His name and I wouldn't have it any other way. Now on the other hand, if you want to help me out by sending me to Ireland, putting a down payment on a house, or introducing me to my husband, I'm not going to stop you. Not one bit!

1 comment:

the dreamer said...

It's times like those--when I struggle with doubt, frustration, impatience, wondering if God forgot about me, and feelings of "being stuck"--I remember that I am ridiculously blessed (not that you don't realize this--just my stream of consciousness).

A list of some of my blessings, which coincidentally overlap with some of yours: really cool friends and family, a job, great church, funny people to laugh at and with (many being the afore mentioned cool friends), music/movies/books/otherthings from which to learn/grow/enjoy, and last but not least ... being a fan of the World Champion Chi White Sox. Oh, and the Gate Five Gang.

Also, speaking of funny people, it's easier to be patient when you're spending so much time laughing. (Special thanks to the gat. For being funny, and for finding this link.)