Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Road Signals

I had a most interesting idea today and you are lucky enough that I will share it with you. As I was driving this morning, I saw an Elgin cop car. First, I wondered why the Elgin police would be in Naperville, which led to me surmising that perhaps they are setting up a drug bust sting operation of some sort. I figure that's a Naperville cop's dream- how exciting can handing out speeding tickets be? While I was chuckling to myself, the Elgin cop passed a Naperville police car. (Please keep following the stream of consciousness here.) You know how bikers signal to each other when they pass on the road? It's their way of saying, "aren't motorcycles great?", kind of spreading some biker community love. I started to wonder if cops have a signal. It would have to be more subtle than flashing the lights but not a rip off of the token biker move. I didn't see any interaction between the two cars which was a pity. Now I've also seen truckers hauling for the same company acknowledge each other. Here's my idea: if bikers and truckers, and maybe one day cops, can all have special signals for each other, why not those of us who drive Toyota Corollas? I happen to be a big fan of my car. When I was 10 I decided that the Corolla was the car for me. I'm not sure why but the dream never died. My car has treated me well and I feel that I should be able to share that love with the rest of the Corolla community. My roommate Jen has a Corolla so maybe we'll cook something up. I don't want nonCorolla drivers to feel left out. I want to reassure you all that I do appreciate motor vehicles of all kinds- for instance, some of you know about my special affinity for Mustangs! Let us not limit road signals to the bikers and truckers of this nation, each car has the potential to go beyond the head nod, the wave, the thumbs up. Each car has the potential to reach out to its car community. At the same time, let's keep it clean, remember it's about showing pride not showing off. I'm thinking we should follow Demetri Martin's example (listen to clips!): we salute each other and say, "Here's to you. I like what you drive."

2 comments:

donna said...

check out the clips of Leigh's good pal Demetri Martin. I like sweater vests, because they protect you from pretty girls. I think that's my favorite line. Here's to you Michael W., I like what you do.

kibeebs said...

ok so i did it!! i made, yet, another blog - because i love you and enjoy your friendship....blah blah blah

here's to you, i like what you do...