Thursday, June 29, 2006

I love it when Bobby Jenks emails me (and everyone else)!

Hi White Sox Fans,
I can't believe that we're already three months into the 2006 season. I'm sure that you would agree that it seems like just yesterday we were celebrating our World Series title. It's amazing how much has changed since then, both for me and for our club. But I have to say that it has been so nice to be back in Chicago and playing in front of such great fans.
The support we received during our playoff run last season was incredible, and I didn't think it would be possible for that atmosphere to be duplicated, but the ballpark has been electric the first half of this season because of our fans. So I really want to thank you for all of your support, because you've been great this season – from the moment we raised the World Series banner on Opening Day through the energetic crowds last week against St. Louis and Houston.
As for myself, I have taken such a liking to the city of Chicago, the White Sox and our fans that my wife and I came to the decision this offseason to make Chicago our home 12 months a year. We have loved the area since I signed with the White Sox, and I can't tell you how comfortable we feel in this city. I love it because it is a big city and there is so much to do. There is such a great feel to it, and I love the bond I feel with the people of Chicago, even though I've been with the White Sox for less than two years.
As for our club this year, I am pleased with the way that our season is going so far. We knew that it was going to be a fight to the finish with so many tough teams in the American League Central, and it looks like it is shaping up to be a great pennant race when August and September roll around.
The last two years here in Chicago have been amazing, and I couldn't ask for a better manager to play for than Ozzie Guillen. He has had nothing but confidence in me since Day 1, and I have him to thank for the chance to succeed at the Major League level. I still sit down in the bullpen every once in a while and realize that I'm in the dugout as a Major Leaguer, not in the stands as a fan.
Last year – especially the World Series – really was everything I imagined it would be since I was a little kid. The atmosphere at U.S. Cellular Field was something that I will never forget, and I still can't believe the support that White Sox fans showed at the parade. I don't know if I will ever forget seeing all the people line the streets on the South Side as our busses went by... or the thousands of fans who jammed the streets downtown. It was just amazing.
Everything about last year was such an amazing experience, and I've realized how committed Ozzie, Kenny Williams, Jerry Reinsdorf and the entire organization are to winning since the World Series. It made the offseason even more enjoyable knowing that Paulie was going to be back in our clubhouse, and that we had added such a strong left-handed bat in Jim Thome.
Although there were some changes since last year's team, the one thing that hasn't changed is the attitude in our clubhouse. I have been in a lot of different clubhouses over the years, and this one has the tightest friendships I've ever seen. Everyone gets along, and that really helps both on and off the field and has been a major factor in our success.
Hopefully our success will continue throughout the second half of the season. We expect to bring another AL Central Division title to the South Side and give our fans the opportunity to cheer us deep into the postseason once again. The large crowds have helped us already this year, and we know your support will keep us going as we push for our second straight division title. Thanks, and I hope to see you all at the ballpark soon.
Sincerely, Bobby Jenks

No comments: