Thursday, June 15, 2006

A word from my main man

Dear White Sox Fans,
We're almost at the halfway point of the season, and so far we're pretty happy with how the season is going. We've hit some rough patches along the way, but for the most part, we're doing the things we need to do to win ballgames, and that's the main goal.
We really aren't doing anything different as a team, as far as last year vs. this year. We take the same approach and bring the same mindset into each game. As professionals, we can't have an attitude that we are the defending champs – we need to approach each game the way we did last season, when we were trying to get to the top.
You definitely can see that teams are more focused on playing the White Sox this season. And I can see that pitchers are more focused on trying to prove something to us. It seems like every pitcher is bringing his "A" game to the mound.
Speaking of other teams, we're not surprised at all by how well the Tigers are playing this year, and like we've said all along, we expect the Central Division to be a dogfight until the end of the season. But when it's all said and done, we're going to do everything we can to come out on top again.
For me, personally, I'm just trying to do whatever I can to help us win, and I've been fortunate to get off to a quick start. This year, it seems like I've been able to stay more in a daily routine, regardless of whether I'm getting a lot of hits. It's my second season with the White Sox, so it helps that I am more familiar with the environment, with the coaching staff and the players around me. It definitely helps to find a comfort level in the clubhouse and in my routine.
I just wanted to get off to a good start this season and see what happens. Obviously I would be honored to make the All-Star Team, but it's not a goal I set for myself. If I'm selected because we are winning ballgames, then it would be even more special.
With the numbers Jim, Paulie and I have been fortunate to put up, I would have to say we are right near the top, if not at the top, in terms of 3-4-5 hitters in baseball. I would probably have to say it's the best middle of the lineup I've played with or been a part of. With Oakland, we had Jason Giambi and Eric Chavez, and Mike Sweeney was in Kansas City, but overall I would put this group at the top of the list.
Jim adds another threat to the lineup and takes so much pressure off everyone around him. You can see the amount of respect that pitchers have for him and how carefully they pitch to him. But that just helps out Paulie and me hitting right behind him. It's so much tougher for pitchers to do their job when there are men on base. Plus, Jim is such a good guy and a great influence on the rest of the clubhouse – especially the younger guys – but even the veterans, too. Just to watch his approach and see the way he treats people makes it fun to be around him.
We expect even bigger things in the second half of the season, and we know it's going to be tough. No one in the clubhouse is talking about a World Series. We just want to play well day-to-day, and hopefully when the dust settles at the end of September, we'll be in the playoffs again. At that point, anything can happen, as we learned last year!
Thank you for coming out to the ballpark and cheering us on; it's been a nice boost and a big reason why we have the best home record in the big leagues so far. We couldn't do it without you.
Sincerely – Jermaine Dye

2 comments:

derfman said...

Cool, are you on the White Sox bloggers mailing list? How did you get that? When I read it I will just pretend JD's mass email was written personally to me.

HopefulLSW said...

I'm on the general White Sox mailing list and one of the perks is personal letters from the players and Ozzie from time to time. It's a nice perk! Since JD is my fave player, I like to think that he was writing it with me in mind as the only recipient. Even though he addresses it to all White Sox fans. I know what he really meant:)