Wednesday, August 09, 2006

One down, a few more to go

Last night's game against the Yankees was amazing! The crowd was crazy- I love when the whole ballpark chants "let's go White Sox" and claps in time! Brooke and I were thrilled to have several opportunity's to sing the Let's Go Go Go White Sox song a few times- and we weren't the only ones to have the words memorized. That, my friends, is progress. As we were waiting for the game to start, I turned to Brooke and said, "We're going to win tonight." I was somehow very sure about it. I had no idea it would take 11 innings and what nailbiters those innings were! It seemed to be a back and forth rally of hits. We were down 5-4 in the 9th inning when up stepped Paulie and blasted a homer, off of Rivera no less who has allowed only one other home run this season. Insane and yet so totally White Sox. Finally in the 11th with 2 men on base, JD hit a walkoff single allowing Gooch to score. We went crazy! If you've seen me in action at a game, then you have a good idea of what I mean. If you haven't experienced a game with me yet, well I'm not going to be humble- you're just plain missing out! The extra innings forced me to take the 12:40 am train home- I missed the 11:40 pm by about 15 minutes. But after a game like that, who cares? Sure I'm tired today but the White Sox beat the Yankees! All is right with the world. I liked Scott Merkin's closing lines here:

Sure, it was just one win, following a formula the White Sox have employed many times over the past couple of highly successful years. But as they battle toward a second straight playoff spot, the players hope this is a victory that could spark a sustained run in the direction of the postseason.
"Regardless of how much we are down in the standings, you still have to work hard because you never know what could happen," Dye said. "It definitely helps with our confidence."
"We haven't had a game like that in a long time," Konerko added. "It was a real tight game, good pitching, clutch hitting and it came out with the right ending. Anytime you hit a home run off a Hall of Famer like that to tie up a game ... Hopefully that sparks us and gets us going in the right direction."

3 comments:

derfman said...

Frustrating loss last night. The gat and I were out of hope with the Big Unit's no hitter, but your text message of hope brought us out of our stupor with Gooch's base hit. Then the rally happened to go from 0 to 6. Alas, it was not enough this time.

I guess I am missing out by not watching Sox games with you, with the mojo you have.

HopefulLSW said...

I'm glad the message of hope helped. And yes, you are missing out by not watching games with me. Hopefully we'll hang on to our lead tonight!

the Gat said...

we should all get together to watch one of these games at somebody's place. ahem *todd*