Monday, October 09, 2006

The wages of visiting grandparents

Aunt Teresa had a seizure last Monday, evidence that the tumor continues to grow. I didn't get a chance to visit her until today. I was able to stop out at my grandparents for lunch and enjoy my grandma's famous chicken noodle soup. Teresa is definitely declining, she's more lethargic and weaker but still happy as can be. In the middle of lunch my grandpa decided to go talk to my uncle at the farm (right next door). A minute later he came back inside with a sheepish look on his face. He had backed into my car with his truck. He felt terrible about it! I thought there would maybe be a slight dent but the rear passenger side above the wheel was completely caved in. Not a pretty sight and not what I wanted to deal with. But apparently this is the hand I was dealt with today so I determined to make the best of it. After making my visits, I went over to my parents' house to get the name and number of the auto body shop they've used before. In a strange twist of fate, my dad decided to go with me. Usually he sees incidents like this as a good way to make me become more independent than I already am. For whatever reason, he put his "teach her a lesson" hat aside and came with. Moral of the story: my car is now considered to be totaled!!!! I wanted to curse and scream so badly but I was with my dad, so I did my best to keep it in. The auto body guys did pull out the part above the wheel as it was rubbing the wheel whenver I went over bumps and they have recommended I drive it as little as I can. Now I just have to wait for my grandpa's insurance company to do their own assessment. It looks like I'll be buying a new car a lot sooner than I was planning.

4 comments:

kibeebs said...

aw that sucks...i'm sorry. know what kind of car you want?

HopefulLSW said...

Well the Corolla treated me well prior to this so I'll probably stick with that. Apparently the new ones get 40 mpg which is fantastic! I'm open to suggestions though.

derfman said...

Look at it as an excuse to buy a new car! Maybe insurance will even kick in most of the amount.

the Gat said...

or you can ask Xzibit to pimp yo ride.