Monday, June 25, 2007

Ugggg

I was at yesterday's atrocious game. I held back from saying anything about my righteous indignation until now. Like all other Sox fans at the game, Brooke and I were furious to see 3 Cubs players return to the bases after a double play in the 8th inning. When you don't have a radio or tv announcer clueing you in on the umpire's mindset, you have to fill in the blanks yourself but we were clueless. The pickles were entertaining and also damning evidence. I am pretty sure the umpires were paid off. Ozzie put up a good yet calm fight and subsequently was ejected. It made no sense! It was not until after the game that my cousin Jon (the sole Cubs fan who did not gloat after the game- at least to my face!) told me that they had called interference on Uribe and thus declared a dead ball. I still had some doubt in my mind but figured I'd catch it on the replay. Well, I just watched the Comcast replay of the 8th inning and I am just as puzzled as Hawk and DJ were- and they had the benefit of multiple cameras and instant replays! I kept my eyes trained on Juan and did not see this supposed interference (apparently it "happened" when Pagan rounded 2nd.) So I am still mad! But I feel a little better now that I have vented. It was hard to leave the game having to face all the gloaters. Yeah, yeah, you finally swept us. Been there, done that. It was harder still to get gloating text messages and emails. I mean seriously, why kick me when I'm already down? As I thought further- and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong- but I have never called, texted, or emailed a Cubs fan to rub their face in a loss. In fact, I never even bring up their evident shortcomings. The Cubs fans in my life are always the ones who bring up team pride. And yes, I will always respond and rise to the occasion. Whether it means reminding them of our recent World Series championship or of that tiny little fact that they have not won one of their own in almost 100 years. Poor, low self-esteem Cubs fans, always trying to feel powerful by cutting us down. Well, we all know that this weekend will be the high point of their season. They should enjoy it while they can.

No comments: