Saturday, August 18, 2007

Those dirty rascals

I was raised Republican. Once I got to college and began my sociology major, I realized that I may not completely agree with my parents' political views. Shortly before the 2000 Presidential election I sat down, researched the issues, and discovered, lo and behold, I was a Democrat. I wrote a long letter to my parents explaining my true political beliefs and called my mom a few days later. It turns out she never gave the letter to my dad, figuring he would be too upset by my change of heart. I remember one year I asked him about absentee ballots and he said he would help me get one...depending on who I was going to vote for. I'm still not sure if he was joking. Since I have graduated from college my views have mellowed a bit and I would say I'm a moderate liberal. It's hard to be completely enamored with either political party given the current state of affairs. This is why I have been such a big fan of Barack Obama. I was in graduate school at University of Chicago when he was running for Senate- a lot of people were very involved in his campaign. Given that I was working part time and juggling school and an internship, I was unable to get involved but I was rooting for him all the way. He's young, he's idealistic, he could be the fresh voice we need, and all that jazz. When he decided to run for president, I was disappointed that he didn't keep his promise to finish his first term before he thought of future aspirations. But things are the way they are. I'm wishing him the best. I usually don't commit to any candidate during the primaries but when I saw Obama's campaign tent at the Pitchfork Music Festival last month, I couldn't contain myself. I bought a bumper sticker and it was beautiful. I proudly put it on my car the next day, apparently to the chagrin of DuPage County Republicans. This morning I realized that someone stole my bumper sticker! When I noticed it was gone, I thought maybe it had somehow fallen off. But upon further inspection, I am sure that it was removed from my car. The cowards! It either happened in my apartment complex parking lot or in my parent's driveway. My apartment is the more likely suspect and I will have an eagle eye out for all shifty AMLI residents. For a moment I thought about calling the police, the way people like to do when someone steals a campaign sign out of their lawn. It would be funny to see how the cops would react to this one. "Um, they stole your bumper sticker?" I would suggest they look for an angry Republican. If they're a bad thief, maybe the bumper sticker is sticking to them. How's that for irony? They may have removed the sticker from my car this time but they can't keep a good woman down for long. If I was rich I would go out and buy Obama stickers for every car in the lot. That'll teach them to mess with me! Or I can just get a new one for myself. I've been meaning to put up my Sojourner's "God is not a Republican...or a Democrat" sticker on anyway.

1 comment:

the Gat said...

you're so funny. don't let them keep you down, friend.