Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Matchmaker Alert

In the last few months I have noticed an interesting trend. Patients are regularly offering to set me up with their grandsons or to find me a husband. Believe me, I'm not asking them to do this. It's very flattering but highly unethical so I can't accept these offers, however well-intentioned they are. I've been meaning to post on this for awhile as Matchmaker Alert will be a new feature for this blog. I'm curious about how many other social workers encounter this phenomenon.

Today CNA Valerie was finishing up with our patient "Alma" when I arrived. Valerie is relatively new so we don't know each other well. While she was helping Alma come back out to her living room, Valerie asked me if I had children. I told her no. Then Alma piped up and said "She's not married yet." Alma thinks it's great that I'm independent and regularly tells me I'll find the right guy when it's the right time. I like her. Valerie apparently has a different mindset and asked me what I was waiting for. Not entirely the angle I'm looking for during a visit but I just laughed it off and said I was waiting for Mr. Right. Alma affirmed this idea and decided that she is going to help me find someone. Pretty sure that won't happen since she's not able to leave the house very often. But bless her heart for offering!

No comments: