Monday, March 24, 2008

Easter

Another first holiday without Grandma and Aunt Teresa has come and gone. I thought I was doing OK but wouldn't you know, grief sneaks up on you when you least expect it? Grandpa decided to host Easter at his (and Grandma's- it'll always be her place too) house. I think we all see this as a good, healthy sign. I knew it might be bittersweet but it is time for our family to reclaim that house and create some more happy memories there. I was on the phone with a friend when I pulled into the driveway after the 45 minute drive, thinking only about how I needed to get the green bean casserole into the oven ASAP. As I walked up to the house, I truly believed that Aunt Teresa would greet me at the door the way she always did, up until she got sick at least, and that I would find Grandma busily cooking in the kitchen. And then reality smacked me in the face. I didn't cry but I was momentarily stunned. Then I pulled myself together and went inside. It proved to be a wonderful afternoon. Yes, it was different but we still have each other. I absolutely adore my family. That is no secret if you've been reading this blog for any length of time. I got to play with little Kelli-o, banter with my cousins, and catch up with everyone else. Grandpa seemed to enjoy himself and we ate to our heart's content. In some ways it didn't seem like Easter, maybe because it happened on a cold March day or maybe because two loved ones are no longer with us. And yet, I was more comforted that it is Easter, to have that tangible reminder that death has no hold over us. Christ's death on the cross translates to eternal hope for those who believe in Him. This is not the end of the road. These light and momentary troubles will soon fade away and then we will see Him face to face. That reunion will blow all our family reunions out of the water- thanks be to God!

No comments: