Sunday, May 11, 2008

Pasta and a Prayer

Last night I hosted the first ever Pasta and a Prayer Night. I'd been wanting to do a springtime alternative to Chili and Doughnut Night for a while. I didn't want to make chili in the springtime- although it might have worked with our current weather. As much as I love hearing about how God is working in everyone's lives, I thought this springtime party should reflect a different aspect of the Christian walk. Due to the charismatic church of my childhood, I've had some issues with corporate prayer. As a result, I do not always feel comfortable praying out loud in a group. Over the years God has stretched me in this area and I felt like He was calling me out again. However, I didn't want to have a typical concert of prayer (usually cheesy) and have us all follow the ACTS formula. It doesn't really work for me. Instead, I asked my dear friend George to lead the prayer part of the night and I would handle the food.

Well, I made some great spaghetti sauce, almost 20 friends showed up, and the prayer time was very convicting and encouraging at the same time. George did a fantastic job! There was a discussion about what a balanced prayer life should like, time spent individually in confession, small group time praying through various attributes of God, and then big group time worshipping and praising God. I was personally convicted by how me-focused my prayer life has become. George shared that he had once been challenged to go for a day without asking for anything for himself or for anyone else. He said he couldn't make it for more than a minute. I think I would fail that challenge too. I hope that last night will get me back on the right track again. Everyone seemed to have a good time and I'm pretty sure this is another party that will become an annual tradition. I love being a hostess and creating opportunities and reasons for people to come together. Few things make me feel more alive. Now I just have to figure out what the next party will be...

No comments: