Thursday, August 28, 2008

Baseball Allegiance

A small blurb in today's Tribune made me chuckle. I'm sharing it with you because, baseball and political allegiances aside, I think you'll laugh too. Many Cubs fans are up in arms about this recent statement:

"You go to Wrigley Field, you have a beer, beautiful people up there," Obama said in an ESPN interview. "People aren't watching the game. It's not serious. White Sox, that's baseball. South Side."

I don't think he's saying anything that people don't already know. Wrigley does have a reputation for being the biggest bar in America. In the full article, Derek Lee even agrees! Many people go to Cubs games, not for the game itself, but for the beer, the camaderie, the experience. I went to a Cubs game with a few friends a couple of years ago (free ticket, mind you.) I was with 2 self-proclaimed die-hard Cubs fans. However, neither person knew who was pitching or who was playing. What is die-hard about that? Or take this more recent example. During the second Cubs vs. Sox series (which I like to call "Turning the Table"), a "die-hard" Cubs fan worriedly asked me what had happened to Kerry Wood. She had no idea that he was the closer! When I expressed my incredulity to her, she said, "I'm a Cubs fan. You're a baseball fan." I firmly corrected her that I'm a White Sox fan and if I know that Kerry Wood is a closer, as a Cubs fan, she should know it too!

Die-hard is my cousins Jon and Adam who know Cubs history front and back and never miss a game if they can help it. Jon told me that if the Cubs make it to the World Series, he might need to leave the country because he will not be able to take the stress. Neither of us could even talk about the possibility of a Cubs vs. White Sox World Series! So yes, there are some real Cubs fans out there but that does not seem to be the reputation that the fans have as a whole.

The funnier part to me was the outrage people expressed towards Obama's statement. There are now 407 comments as I post this. How on earth can people let this affect who they would vote for???

A small sampling (spelling and grammatical errors intact):

notsofriendly: isn't that stereotyping??? to say all Cubs fans are drunken idiots who only are at the game to party? well, I'm insulted and this seems to be in direct 'violation' of the 'watch what you say' mentality this campaign season. and Derek, that wasn't too smart, speaking out against Cub fans...are you a Sox fan?

Gary: Obama has a right to be a sox fan but he insulted me and many others. He has helped me make up mind on who I will vote for.

Samantha: Obama's comments don't effect how I will vote, but it does make me wonder, maybe he should have consulted the facts before making this statement.

Phil: I am a Cubs fan, but the times I have been at Wrigley, it can feel like a 'Friends' convention.

No comments: