Saturday, August 16, 2008

A new matchmaker

Robert is a patient in his 60s with COPD. We've done a lot of hard work together as he faces the end of his life. He's struggled with anxiety and depression and just figuring out how to prepare himself and his family for his death. It's been a true honor to be a part of his journey. I see him every Monday, never quite knowing what we'll end up discussing. Robert is quite the charmer. The first time I met him he said he needed to put on sunglasses because he was blinded by my beauty! This past Monday he raved about my new haircut. Towards the end of the visit, he told me he hoped that I would find a man who would appreciate me- all out of left field. Apparently he wants to take Ruth's place...he added the caveat that he's going to need to meet and approve of whomever I decide to date/marry. I'm not sure how I inspire such a protective nature in my patients but it's sweet that they think I deserve the best. I can't argue with that!

No comments: