Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Political backlash

Much has been said about Obama's recent remarks concerning abortion. It drives me crazy that abortion is still the litmus test for so many voters! Let's look at quality of life as a whole, people! It's not enough to tell someone, "Don't get an abortion," if you're not also going to do something to support the mother and child financially, emotionally, and spiritually. We need to give them the resources and support to make keeping the child a sustainable option. Honestly, unless things have changed since my fieldwork days at DuPage County's Family Planning and Prenatal programs, the resources just are not there. It's not enough to declare that you are pro-life unless you are doing something tangible to reduce the number of abortions. If you can say that you are making those efforts, I congratulate you. You are the exception to the rule. And if you don't agree, I would ask that you look at the pro-life leadership around you, in your community, the Senate, the White House- and see if they can say the same. Chances are they are more talk than action.

I don't agree with everything Steve Knight says but I love the questions he raises at the end and his points concerning criminalization. And for the record, I do believe that life begins at conception. I just also believe that it's time to look beyond pro-life and pro-choice. It's time to look at the issues of poverty, education, health, and yes, even the war (don't you love how the never-ending war eats up the entire budget?). They directly impact the number of abortions without a doubt. Frank Schaeffer, one of the pro-life movement's founders, says this all so much more eloquently.

4 comments:

Rick said...

So basically you are saying there is a price tag on human life? If it cost to much to let a child live, then they must die. Didn't Mother Teresa say that, "It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish."

Leigh, I love you, but your education is not complete until you actually are a parent. It drives me crazy that on my way to Children's Hospital to save my daughter's life, I drive pass a Planned Parenthood where people willingly go to take the life of a child. I would give everything I have and live with nothing the rest of my life so that my daughter has the choice to live. Stop drinking the democratic kool-aid and have courage to stand up against infanticide.

HopefulLSW said...

Rick, I hear what you're saying. While I did not spell this out in my post, I am pro-life. It is just not the MOST important political issue to me and I don't believe it should be the deciding factor in someone's voting choice, as historically pro-life politicians do little to show that they are really pro-life (birth until death). Even though I'm not a parent, I can understand the pain you would feel on the drive to CMH. Life just is not fair.

Rick said...

Much love to you Leigh. The reality is that abortion is not, and should not be, a political issue. It is at it's core a moral issue. In fact, any politician has little say in the issue until the courts take it out of their own hands and hand the issue back to the voters in each state. So for that reason, it has little value as a campaign issue.

This is why, at least for me, abortion is a major litmus test. It gives me an insight into where a person's values are and who they are at their core. It tells me a lot about a person who is willing to find ways to rationalize the taking of life.

Lindsay said...

FYI - i read your most recent blog post by chance and agree 100%. Or 95% because I'm pro-choice now, but agree ENTIRELY that a better approach would be to concentrate on reducing the NUMBER of abortions overall, not just legal access. Who wants women feeling like they have no choice but to get an abortion in the first place?

I worked in international repro health after college and can say first hand that when you ban abortion and don't give women access to options to prevent pregnancies in the first place, it's awful. Awful awful awful, and I think that the vast majority of people - both pro-life and pro-choice - can unite together in saying that situation is awful, and that women having unplanned pregnancies are awful.

Wooooot go reproductive health!