Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Almost skydiving

Today Jim was going to realize his dream of skydiving. We arrived at Skydive Chicago by 11 and got the paperwork out of the way. Literally signed over my life. How should one feel when INJURY and DEATH are in caps throughout the waiver? Despite my nerves, I managed to eat a delicious turkey sandwich (I highly recommend the little cafe that's a part of the hangar.) Steve gave us the introductory class and then we went over to gear up. There's a fantastic instructor named Sparky that helped me get my suit and harness on. I was impressed with all the staff, actually. They're so friendly and passionate about what they do. I was wearing a White Sox shirt in honor of this momentous day (for Jim and the Sox tonight) and my instructor Brad was a Cubs fan. Fun banter ensued. You have to toe the line when your life is in someone else's hands so we agreed to disagree. Jim was in great spirits even though he was getting tired. We finally walked out the hangar to go to the plane...but there was a solid cloud cover. We waited about an hour to see if the clouds would disperse. They have to be able to see a mile between the clouds before it's deemed safe flying conditions, as apparently planes do fly over the land. I'd prefer not to meet a plane face to face. After waiting and consulting, it did not appear the clouds would even start dispersing for a few more hours and that was not guaranteed. Since Jim was growing more weary, we decided to pack in for the day and we'll try again at the end of next week. I have to confess I was a little relieved. While I'm excited to try this out, I'm also scared out of my mind! I am so honored to share the experience with Jim, though, and I know it means a lot to him. Hopefully next Friday the skies will be blue and Jim can cross this one off of his Bucket List.

No comments: