Sunday, September 21, 2008

Baseball + Politics= Awesome Fall

I'm still hoping someday to post my rundown on the conventions but given the hectic nature of my life the past couple of months, I'm not holding my breath. I now have 2 families with children or teens that want me to do prebereavement support. Because kids and teens have crazier schedules than my own, this usually makes for longer workdays but I absolutely love it. Somedays I marvel that I have a skill set to prepare these kids for one of the hardest things they will ever experience in this life. I appear to be gaining a reputation within my organization. The medical director of the palliative care program (of which I am not a part) requested I be the social worker for one of the families I'm working with and when this doctor speaks, everyone jumps. It's a bit of a mindset change for me- hospice to palliative (patients are receiving aggressive treatment as well as pain management expertise from the PC team)- but I'm honored to be involved.

On Wednesday a patient told me I bring joy to his life. Without a doubt, one of the best compliments I have ever received!

It's hard to believe that baseball season is almost over. Next Sunday I'll be at the final home game of the regular season. As our magic number continues to go down, I'm pretty confident there will be 2 Chicago teams in the playoffs. Who knows what our beloved teams will do with that opportunity? I, of course, am keeping my schedule open throughout October.

Before I can go to the last regular season home game, I have to survive my high school 10 year reunion. I am not looking forward to this at all. I'm in regular contact with the high school friends that I want to keep in touch with. I can think of a million other ways I'd like to spend Saturday night (in fact, there are literally a million things I've had to pass up because of this stupid thing.) However, my best friends would kill me if I skipped out. Despite the panic attack I had a few weeks ago, I will go to the reunion. I will make small talk. I will mingle. And then I will never go to another high school reunion again.

1 comment:

Christian Sinclair, MD said...

Just found your blog via Google Alerts. You have some great stories about your experience working with hospice and palliative care patients.

Do you know any other social worker hospice blogs? I write for Pallimed and may feature your blog in one of my upcoming posts. Would that be OK or do you prefer to stay out of the limelight. Feel free to email me if you don't want to post anything here.

Hope you know about Pallimed too!

If not, you do now.

Christian
ctsinclair -@-t- g-m-a-i-l- d0t c-0-m