Monday, September 29, 2008

Brief weekend update

My high school reunion ended up being much more fun than I ever could have imagined. We had a great turn out. I wasn't able to talk to near as many people as I wanted to but enough that I didn't get overwhelmed. It was funny how many little details came back to me, like what college someone had gone to, etc. Why on earth does my brain store that information? We got back our forgotten time capsules, which contained a questionnaire and whatever personal mementos we wanted to put in. Mine had a ton of pictures and random papers, as well as the prediction that I would either be a high school English teacher or a clinical psychologist working with child cancer patients (close), married (nope) with 1 or 2 kids (also nope), and that I would be athletically slim and graceful (what does that even mean?)

Even though we all claim not to care what former classmates care about us, in truth we do. And I felt validated by these old friends and acquaintances. Hearing about everyone's career path and marital status was daunting at times but it was interesting to see myself through their eyes. There was the usual reactions to hearing I'm a hospice social worker (I could never do that, I would cry all the time!) but I also felt admired and respected for this line of work. I sometimes forget the nature of my job. Yes, I'm good at it (some days!) but it's also a calling. All in all, 10 years later I have to admit: I did turn out pretty good. I've grown in a lot of ways but one friend put it best: "You've changed the least for the better." The core of who I was in high school is still with me today and that's not a bad thing. I'm the improved version of myself.

Yesterday I went to the Sox game and they finally won! And then they won today! And tomorrow? I can only hope!

Also tomorrow....I'm going skydiving with a patient! I'm excited for him and nervous for myself. I'm giving myself the right to back out last minute as I have never wanted to go skydiving before. But I figured, if there was ever a time to do it, it's now. Hopefully I'll be alive to tell the tale!

1 comment:

Christian Sinclair, MD said...

Wow! Sky diving with a patient? I am telling all the social workers I work with about this!