Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Seeking a Moment of Clarity

I didn't have any grand revelation about my life's calling while I was on vacation. I was hoping to somehow get a sign from God that it is time for me to move on from hospice. No such luck, I guess. Even though I fell in to hospice and at times have felt clearly led to this field, I've never envisioned myself staying a hospice social worker. Yet, here I am. It was good for me to get away. A one week vacation cannot possibly fully erradicate my burned-out self but it was a start. Now I just need to get over this cold and it'll be back to business as usual. They saved up 7 new patients for me while I was away, plus 2 they admitted the Friday before I left. And that doesn't even consider all the "fires" I had to put out yesterday and what's probably going on today while I am home sick. (Nothing like waking up with a fever and chills!) It's exhausting to think about but somehow I have a skill set that rises to these particular challenges. For now, I'm staying put. The future can remain a question mark.

No comments: