Sunday, December 21, 2008

Bookmarks

"A bookmark is a limit: This is how far you've come. But a bookmark is also a horizon: I wonder what's coming next? A bookmark, then, is both anvil and kite. It saves your place, keeping you tethered right where you are, but at the same time, it keeps tugging at you too. It keeps urging you to rise up and keep going. One more page. One more chapter. A bookmark, then, is like a sliver of hope. It's all about where you are right now, and where you might be tomorrow." - Julia Keller

Keller's piece in today's Tribune resonated with me, not just because I am an incessant reader and can relate to the wonders of the random bookmark. (Business cards are a favorite place-marker for me.) I love the idea of something as small as a bookmarker being a sign of hope and accomplishment. We can all use a dose of that from day to day.

No comments: