Friday, December 12, 2008

Burnout Seminar

I attended a fabulous seminar hosted by Alexian Brothers Behavioral Health Hospital this morning entitled "Your Calling Has Been Disconnected: Chronic Stress, Burnout, and Compassion Fatigue for the Professional." Since I've been burned out for quite some time, I figured this would be right up my alley and I was not disappointed. If you ever get a chance to see Serena Wadhwa speak, I would highly recommend it! I walked away from the seminar feeling a little more relaxed and a little more aware of all that has contributed to my "burned-outness." Plus I have some new tools for my patients! One point I especially appreciated was the Value of Value Clarification, which I'll outline below. I think you'll find it equally insightful if you take the time.

-List 5 things you are currently procrastinating about. This can be professionally, personally, or both.
-Take a sheet of paper and rip or cut it into 10 pieces. (You could try to just write on a piece of paper but the next steps won't be as easy to complete.)
-Ready? Pick your 10 top values from the list below and write one word per piece of paper. This should be a quick process- go with your gut instinct. This is a partial list so if a top value is not included, add it!

Acceptance
Trust
Honesty
Honor
Status
Intelligence
Integrity
Action
Sincerity
God
Simplicity
Commitment
Joy
Compassion
Hard Work
Loyalty
Family
Friends
Independence
Freedom
Power
Kindness
Generosity
Self-care
Health
Openness
Fairness
Justice
Curiosity
Security
Love
Peace
Money
Work
Solitude
Diversity
Humor
Education
Spirituality
Play
Order
Helping others
Experience
Creativity
Relationships
Perfectionism
Forgiveness
Control
Appearance
Personal Growth
Good food

-Got your 10 values? OK, take away 3 of them. This does not mean that these values aren't important to you. You just need to have the 7 most important.
-Take a look at these 7 values. Then take away 2 more.
It's not easy is it?
-Finally, rank your 5 remaining values in order of importance to you.
-Now look at your list of procrastinations. Compare it to your values. Our procrastinations usually have nothing to do with our values. After all, we prioritize the things that are important to us. Instead, you need to figure out how to make the procrastination fit with your values...a new way to motivate yourself.
For instance, I've been procrastinating on setting up my dental appointment, as well as my eye doctor and dermatologist. I often procrastinate on setting up any appointment. But my relationship with God is my number one value and he has commanded that I view my body as a temple, something I need to take care of. Suddenly setting up an MD appointment can be viewed as obedience to God. Love was another top value so I could see taking care of these appointments as a way of loving myself.
Serena recommended that you recheck your values every 3 to 6 months or once a year, depending on what you want, since our values are affected by circumstances, life stages, etc. She also upped the ante: choose your top 3 values. When we're not doing something on a daily basis that is connected to our values, we feel disconnected. Try focusing on your values for a couple of days and see if you notice a difference. I'd be interested in hearing about the results or any insights this exercise gave you...

1 comment:

lisa said...

I love going to conferences...to hear and see another seminars confessions blog is great. Thanks for sharing what you learnt from the Seminar.
I have also got a blog where I share from the "Grants Internet Business Workshop"
Please let me know what you think?
Thanking you in advance
Lisa from http://www.ourpathtoprosperity.com/