Friday, December 26, 2008

Job security

I enjoyed all the family Christmas celebrations the last 2 days. It's wonderful to reconnect with everyone and hear the latest updates. I hadn't seen my dad's side of the family in some time, as we spent Thanksgiving with my mom's side of the family. I was shocked to learn that my uncle Scott has been reduced to 20 hours a week and my aunt's hours have been dramatically reduced and there's an underlying concern that the store might go under if business doesn't pick up. Scott is trying to remain positive and find the silver lining to his situation; he noted that he will be interested to see if Obama's proposed stimulus package helps out his company or not. Another aunt picked up a part-time job in addition to her full-time job just to afford Christmas presents. On my mom's side of the family, there are similar concerns. Two cousins were laid off from their jobs (they're in the construction business) a few weeks ago. They're getting unemployment for now but since they're union guys, they're more limited in what they can do. Adam's wife works so that helps but Jon's wife has been staying at home raising their daughter so things are tighter for them. Despite all these financial concerns, we were able to enjoy the true spirit behind Christmas, enjoying each other's company and expressing gratitude for Christ's birth. I was struck that despite my discontent at work, I don't truly have financial worries. Yes, I'm trying to figure out if I can afford to buy a house in this area. But I don't have foreclosure hanging over my head or bills I can't pay. I am truly blessed and grateful for what my job affords me to do. I pray that I will keep this in mind the next time I want to rant about the injustices of my job. And I pray that my family's fortunes will soon improve.

No comments: