Tuesday, January 13, 2009

This is why I love my job

The patients I've met in the past few months have been extraordinarily interesting.
Consider:
A couple married for 70 years and still radiantly in love

A man who helped build the Sears Tower (I was in awe of his courage)

A woman who was heavily involved in promoting a woman's right to vote and began several activist groups in her town...and continued to do her part after suffering a stroke at age 40...after the birth of her 6th son. Talk about strength!

A Holocaust survivor

A man with early onset Alzheimers who was vice president of a Fortune 500 company prior to diagnosis. He then became involved with the Rush Alzheimers support group, spoke around the country about early onset, and was involved in a research study. He was passionate about doing his part so that we can someday find a cure.

A man who was a steeplejack, a trade he learned from his uncle that no longer exists

A man whose father was shot in a bar fight (picture a typical cowboy Western saloon) two months before he was born...and his life grew ever more interesting after that (I'm going to videotape his story starting this week- he is a fascinating storyteller!)

A woman who married losers twice before finding the love of her life- third time's the charm!

An African refugee who got HIV after being raped by camp guards. She's one of the most inspirational, positive people I've ever met.

A man who served with the Marines for several years and loves showing me the yearbooks featuring their missions. Despite struggling with ALS, he always has a smile on his face.

And the list goes on...

3 comments:

Rick said...

Hugh, this almost makes me miss being there. There are some great people you meet aren't there?

busyman said...

Hooray for Social Workers!

I found your blog and I am now enjoying your posts!

Keep up the great work!

HopefulLSW said...

Rick, is Hugh some new nickname I don't know about or did you forget who you were writing to? :)

And to Busyman- glad you found me! Us social workers definitely have to stick together.