Monday, February 16, 2009

Spain

I only have a few minutes but I wanted to let you all know that Spain was fantastic! I felt so refreshed and relaxed, had a great time catching up with my friends, and did just enough touristy things to feel like I better understood the country. The time away gave me some clarity about a few areas of my life, which I'll probably share at a later date. In any case, I cannot wait to go back and explore more of this beautiful country!
I was on-call for most of this weekend and actually had to make visits and phone calls (normally the psychosocial on-call doesn't hear the phone ring at all.) Suffice it to say, I'm feeling a little less relaxed and refreshed due to the on-call and lingering jet lag. There's a certain paranoia that accompanies being on-call. You're either waiting for the phone to ring or fearing what you're going to have to do once it starts ringing. Once I'm on the visit, I'm OK because I know the family needs me. And they seem extra appreciative since they know it's taking time out of my weekend. The weekend reminded me what this job is all about. Is my Saturday morning crossword puzzle more important than helping a family come to grips with their mother starting hospice? The crossword puzzle would still be there when I get home; for the moment, I was where I needed to be.

No comments: