Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Art of Being Helpful

Sometimes I think I do my best work when I feel the least helpful. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about? When I know that there's nothing that I can say to make everything better, when I'm literally at a loss for words and just praying that somehow my presence would be comforting or that God would give me the words, when I'm wondering if I'm even making a connection to another person...somehow these are the moments that I get incredible feedback. And I just have to take a step back and wonder if we were in the same room because I'm not sure how I helped them. The fact that they were in fact comforted by my visit is humbling and sometimes that's what keeps me going. I met with a 13 yo girl this afternoon whose grandmother is our patient and who has suffered many losses already. I had no idea how our visit would go, if she would talk to me at all, and if she did talk to me, if she would open up. Somehow time flew by and she asked her mom if I can keep coming back. I don't know what I did to help her open up but she did and I'm glad. Hopefully I can support her through the times ahead.

1 comment:

Beebs said...

and so, i'm going to try to revive my blog. i haven't written on it for forever, but i'm going to try to keep it current. feel free to check it out.