Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Grandma

My Grandma died two years ago today. I had planned to write a nice introspective and reflect on how it feels to be two years out from this loss. Life got in the way, however, and I ended up working a 12 hour day. I was called to make an emergency visit to a patient being admitted to hospice; his wife was very concerned about their 6 and 2 year old sons. He died about an hour and a half after I arrived. I was able to make good connections with both sons and I feel I helped this family in their time of need. In fact, the connection with the 2 year old was so good that he didn't want me to leave. He actually started crying when I told him I was going home, which of course made me feel terrible! I plan on doing follow-up bereavement work with the kids when things have settled down. In a way, I think my Grandma would have appreciated that I'm still working in hospice and helping others more than she would have appreciated an introspective tribute. Grandma was all about other people. You know the cheesy acronym for JOY? Jesus first, others second, yourself last. That was Grandma completely. I miss her but I am still inspired by her example.

2 comments:

luvmypeanut said...

Thank you for a wonderful tribute to your Grandma. The first anniversary of my Grandma's death is coming up. It's been a hard year of firsts....my first bday without her, my first Thanksgiving, Christmas, Mother's Day. The pain of missing her is still strong, I'm hoping for it to ease up soon!

Thank you again for sharing, it really helped me today!

LeighSW said...

Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad I was able to help. Sometimes it seems like it's not as acceptable to mourn the loss of a grandparent when you're an adult. I certainly had friends that didn't understand why I was grieving or why the year of firsts was difficult. It's nice to know I'm not alone.