Tuesday, August 25, 2009

"I'm going to keep you."

I was visiting a patient who lives in an Alzheimer's unit. He's a sweet guy, generally rambles on about anything and everything, generally not making much sense. I do my best to follow what he's saying and respond appropriately with phrases like "oh," "really?" and "that makes sense." Today he might have mistaken me with someone from his past or he just thought that I was getting ready to travel or move on. First, he exhorted that I was going to go far. He seemed to think this was a good thing. Then he said, "I'm not going to miss you."
"You're not?" I asked, not sure where he was going with this.
"No," he said. Then he smiled and said, "I'm going to keep you."
Before I could process this little gem, he had moved on to some other topic altogether.

1 comment:

Anatolia said...

Following the path this man's thoughts took in his interaction with you is fascinating and heartbreaking.