Thursday, August 13, 2009

Patient Perspective

I met with a new patient on Tuesday. She is a lovely woman and I'm looking forward to getting to know her better. I'll also be providing prebereavement support to her teenage granddaughter who has lived with her grandparents and her mom since she was a baby. The patient has no regrets. In fact, she let me know that she was diagnosed with breast cancer 20 years ago when she was in her 40s. Most of her family died in their 40s. She said she feels extremely blessed to have had 20 more years than she expected, this being her third bout of cancer. She has been a huge part of her granddaughter's life; she said all she ever wanted to be was a grandma. She is determined to laugh and enjoy the rest of her days. She shared a scene from the movie "Gumball Rally." I had never heard of it before but apparently it involves a bunch of people racing across the country for money. One team is a bunch of Italians. She said the Italian driver gets in the car and rips off his rear-view mirror and throws it out of the car. In explanation, he offers this: "What's behind me is not important." She is taking these words to heart.

No comments: