Sunday, September 06, 2009

Danny's Ride

Drew Wessels was featured in my recent college alumni magazine. He recently biked across the country to raise money for The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, an organization that's been close to my heart since I hiked the Grand Canyon with them in 2006. There was something so empowering about training for that hike and fundraising. Little did I know that my grandmother would be diagnosed with multiple myeloma a year later. The fundraising we did led to the development of one of the chemo drugs Grandma took- it boggled my mind once I figured that out! Unfortunately Grandma's cancer was detected too late and she died a month and a half later. Cancer affects all of us.

Drew's biking partner was Danny Leonard, a 69 year old two-time cancer survivor. He shares his story in the video below. Their trek ended mid-June but Drew's blog is still worth reading. They met many people impacted by Danny's story along the way and it appears they learned a lot about themselves as well. In the process, they were able to raise awareness and money to support The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. It's no longer possible to donate directly to Danny's Ride but perhaps consider training for an event of your own. I would highly recommend any of LLS's fundraising programs, from Hike for Discovery to Team in Training.


No comments: