Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Matchmaking Update

A long time ago I wrote about a Matchmaking Family that had high hopes for me and their grandson. At the time I explained to the family that I could not date him for ethical reasons. This is and was true. However, I don't think that this grandson would have been a good match for me, ethical reasons aside; I chose not to tell them this. They were very disappointed and so, never imagining that I would be in this position, I told them that if we were both single a year after Bernie's death/discharge, we could think about it. I assumed 1) I would lose touch with the family and it would not be an issue and 2) I would not be single by that time anyway, thus illustrating why one should never assume.

Bernie stabilized within a month after that post and we discharged him from our program. I loved visiting him and his wife but the business of my schedule prevented me from ever dropping in on them to say hi. We did lose touch. A few weeks ago hospice chaplain Ron thought he noticed Bernie while he was visiting a patient at a nursing home but didn't have time to investigate. This morning (while I was adjusting to being back at work after 10 glorious days off) he told me it was indeed Bernie; he ran into Bernie, Mary, and their daughter last week and was able to catch up with them. I was caught off guard when he told me that Mary had asked if I was still single and wanted Ron to let me know that their grandson was still available. She specifically told Ron that it was more than a year since Bernie had been discharged...so surely it would be OK for us to date. I could not stop laughing when he told me this! I think Mary wanted Ron to call me right on the spot when they were chatting. So flattering that this family would think this highly of me. Nevertheless, I think I'll pass. It was a nice way to start the day though!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leigh,
I think you should go out with him. Maybe you can agree to meet him somewhere for coffee etc. After some discussion you will know if he's "right" for you to date.

LeighSW said...

For confidentiality reasons, I didn't post a few telling details about this young man. Suffice it to say, this would not be a match made in heaven but I remain flattered by the family's intentions and his interest.