Friday, September 04, 2009

"Where's your husband?"

This afternoon I was visiting with a patient that can be difficult to handle at times. She's extremely labile, her emotions go all over the map in the span of 30 seconds, so it is helpful to know how to distract her and keep her in a happier place. She's also pretty confused. Today she told me that her son and daughter were deceased (they aren't) and then 5 minutes later she told me her son sent her flowers. Apparently from the grave. Then 30 minutes later she heard the caregiver cooking dinner in the kitchen and told me her son was making a racket while he organized the cabinets. I really get a kick out of visiting with her. We were partially chatting and partially watching Jeopardy when she turned to me and asked what my husband was doing. I told her that I wasn't married. Then she said, "I could have sworn you were married." I watched her ponder this information and wondered where she was going to go with this. She looked at me again, in such disbelief, and said, "But you're so pretty!"

2 comments:

David G. Markham said...

Every now and then we get handed a gift when we are making an effort to connect in difficult circumstances.

Great story!

Thanks for the good work you do.

All the best,

David Markham

TroynKim said...

That story reminds me of my own grandmother, who made the same comment to me one Christmas. She also made a similar comment while in the ICU several years ago stating, "You might not ever get married Kim, and that's ok." I laughingly responded that I might not and thank you. When my grandmother found out I was 25 she said, "I didn't know you were that old!"