Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Pediatric Hospice

I have much to write about but little time to do it. The short story is that I'm pondering a job change in the next year. Originally I thought I'd pursue a bereavement position but lately I've been thinking about pediatric hospice again. This means it's time to research. Would I be a good candidate even though I have little experience specific to pediatrics? When I look at my history as a whole (child and teen bereavement counseling for 3 years, field work placement working with pregnant and parenting teens through county health department, residential counselor for teenage delinquents, youth group leader, mentor to child with autism, etc.), I think I could be a great candidate but I've only had 2 pediatric patients while working in hospice. Any suggestions on what I could do to improve my chances or on good information regarding this field? I'd appreciate it!

5 comments:

Everybody's Mom said...

I saw a comment you left at Eyes Opened Wider and I just wanted to let you know that I really appreciate what you do as a Hospice Social Worker. Literally, just this last week, we lost one of our foster daughters to a terminal illness. Hospice was involved the entire time that she was in our care and everyone was so loving and caring and helpful. I never ever felt like a burden even during those middle of the night nurse request calls. When she passed away, they called us and came to our home to check on us even though technically their responsibility could have ended with the birth family. It meant so much and I definitely think I have some new lifelong friends. Thank you for all that you do.

LeighSW said...

Thank you for the encouragement. I'm glad to hear that hospice was a positive experience during a hard time and that they reached out to you. It sounds like they went above and beyond. I am so sorry for your loss. From reading your blog, you appeared to be just what that little girl needed. My prayers are with you.

Everybody's Mom said...

Thanks for the kind words and prayers. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to got through. I know she was a foster child, but in my heart she was mine. I'd never had an experience with hospice before and I have to say there is a special place in heaven for hospice workers.

rcombs said...

Hello, I am also a young hospice social worker (I'm 26) and stumbled across your blog. I live in Minneapolis MN and Children's Hospital here in Minneapolis has a wonderful pediatric hospice program. I work full time as a hospice social worker for a different health care system (with strictly adult patients) but also work part time at Children's Hospital (nights and weekends)primarily covering the NICU and Emergency Departments. This has given me good experience in pediatrics, which I would really recommend having if you are interested in working for a pediatric hospice program some day. So if you have a pediatric hospital nearby, it might be a good idea to see about taking some on call shifts to gain experience with peds.

LeighSW said...

That's an interesting idea! Unfortunately, I don't think I have time to take on more on-call at the moment, given what I already have to do but I will certainly keep it in mind.