Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Role Reversal

I've shared stories in the past about patients or families who have deemed me "too young" and requested a different social worker. I am proud to say I have reached the other side! Well, at least for one family. I met with a new patient and his wife, both in their 40s, the classic sandwich generation. They have young kids and parents with health problems. The wife was very apologetic as she asked if they could have a different nurse. They felt she was "too old" and didn't understand the issues they are dealing with. For instance, they know you need to keep ahead of the pain with medication but the patient doesn't want to be conked out all day and miss out on time with his kids. They felt like the nurse dismissed their concern. Granted this RN is in her late 60s or early 70s and usually provides great care but in this instance, she did not appear to hear what the family had told her during the first visit. As I listened to their side of the story, I was secretly a little giddy that I'm an "appropriate" age for this family! Long story short, they now have a RN that is closer to their age, who also has kids at home. And they really liked me and felt like I had a good understanding of their concerns. I'm going to start meeting with the kiddos next and see what kind of support I can offer them.

1 comment:

karen gerstenberger said...

Good for you! It's wonderful that they felt they could ask for a change. Family advocacy is SO important.