Thursday, June 24, 2010

Really Starting

Orientation has been good but overwhelming.  I work for a very large organization.  I didn't realize how large it was until this week.  It's amazing how many ways you can get lost.  I've decided to stick with the routes I know and figure out the shortcuts later!  I've been meeting tons of people from my departments, learning about the different clinics I'll be a part of, meeting the other social workers, meeting with my supervisor, and setting up my office.  That's right: I actually get an office!  I share it with another social worker and I am so astounded to have my own space, with a window view no less.  Next week will be filled with more meetings and field trips, as well as computer training and a host of other activities.  After that I hope to do some observation of the social workers who have been covering my department and the nurse practioners and other staff.  And then, I guess I'll have to dive in and hope for the best.  Most people have said it took them a couple of years before they felt like they had a good understanding of all the components...so that makes me feel better.  There are some interesting opportunities for me to develop programs and contribute my strengths to existing programs.  I'm not even going to think about that though until I figure out my new routine.  One step at a time, one day at a time.  Still, every day I pinch myself that I get to work here and that I will get to work with these children!

2 comments:

Me said...

I certainly hope you continue this blog. I'm 28 years old and am returning to college to get a degree in social work. It hasn't been easy as I've tried and failed for 5 years having gone through a lot personally. Anyway lol I enjoyed your first entry and will be adding you to my google reader!

karen gerstenberger said...

Congratulations! It sounds so exciting and so "meant to be," already. God is good...so many blessings and opportunities to learn and to give, all in one place.

Speaking of gifts, I received a privately published book from a hospice nurse who helped us when Katie was sick. It is a wonderful little book, full of real-life experience and insight from her years as a nurse and as a hospice worker. I wish it was available to the general public, because I think it would be so helpful to many people in the field, as well as to family members. It means so much to me that she gave it to us.