Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Clinic

I shadowed a nurse during one of my clinics today. I can't tell you how great it felt! I was bone tired by the time I left, a good sign in my book. I was able to help a few patients and/or their families with concrete needs and emotional support. I was able to meet a lot of the patients that I will be working with for the next however many years. How cool to see a baby and know that I will be walking alongside him or her and watch as they manage their illness and grow! Clinic is such a different routine from the hospice world. I hope to be more present in my clinics than the person I replaced was able to do. The good news is that both services I cover want to grow enough in order to have their own full-time social worker. It is exciting to be a part of that journey and to shape these programs. I have to figure out my routine and how I will divide my time between clinic and in-patient. It's starting to come along.

1 comment:

LetTheTruthUnfold said...

Hello, I really enjoy reading your posts. I am currently in my 3rd year working on my bachelor's in social work. It is nice to read social work blogs to get a better understanding of what I want my focus to be.