Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Listening

I saw my first pediatric patient today. She's in her late teens and is currently in-patient for hematology. She actually requested to see the social worker! My officemate offered to go down there with me, in case the patient had any questions. Which of course she did. The beauty is that now I know what the answers are! And I think it will stick. When I brought a few forms back to her room, we started to chat. She was so lonely. She was frustrated to be back in the hospital. She's had a humdinger of a life already but this illness was wreaking havoc on her future plans. So I sat with her and listened. And let her spill it all out. By the end of our time, she said she felt better having someone to just listen to her. I told her I'd stop back tomorrow to check on her. It felt good.

4 comments:

Jamie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jamie said...

I deleted my last comment because I just realized you didn't want your name associated with the blog and I used your name. Oops! Sorry.hy

the marroquin family said...

This is why you do what you do. You are a great listener! So glad this is the job for you!

karen gerstenberger said...

I'm thanking God for sending you - and asking blessings on you, your work and your patients. Listening is one of the greatest gifts a person can receive. I'm so glad you are there to do it!