Thursday, July 01, 2010

Tomorrow

Tomorrow I have to really start working. Or something like that. Two weeks of orientation have almost come to an end. Tomorrow morning I turn on my pager for the first time. I will no longer be "incognito!" Next week I'll start receiving referrals. I'm hoping I can spend time shadowing the nurse practitioners in my clinics and handle the referrals on the side. I have so much to learn, from disease process to TN resources to my employer's protocol. It's exciting and overwhelming all at once. It is so incredible to work for an organization that is pro-social work. I feel so welcome and like a vital member of the team. It's refreshing to not have to advocate that the other staff need me- they know it and they're excited for me to start. I can envision myself doing this job well...it just might be quite some time until that happens, or rather until I'm confident that I'm doing it well. All the other social workers commiserate that orientation is overwhelming and you have a million questions once you start working with patients and families. Most of them have said it took a year or two before they felt like they had a good grasp on things. They have reassured me they are available to help out, no matter what I need. And I will surely take them up on that! So while it's scary to start direct care since I feel like I know nothing, it's time to jump in with both feet. I'm a good social worker and I was hired because they believe I can do this. I need to be OK with not knowing everything and trust that I will pick it up along the way. Stay tuned...

1 comment:

karen gerstenberger said...

As I just told a friend who is starting boot camp at West Point this week, You have been called, and you are/will be equipped. (My best instincts say, Trust the One who called you, remember to look to Him/Her for help, and you will receive it.) Your gifts and skills are needed. God bless you as you step out to offer them!