Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Documentation

It's strange to say this but until this new job, I've never had supervision regarding my documentation. Whether it was fieldwork placements or my hospice job, I've never received feedback about my notes, other than that they were good, great, or the best they've ever read. That could sound like bragging but really I'm just confident in my writing and documentation skills. Still, there's always room to improve.

Now, in a new place, there's a new style. It was an adjustment to figure out a format that worked for me. I looked at old psychosocial templates and reviewed the notes of some other social workers and finally came up with something that works for me. After I finish a note, I save it as a draft, print it out, and then wait for my supervisor to review it before saving it to the chart. This has been going on for about 5 or 6 weeks. I've really appreciated the constructive criticism I've received, especially since it's the first time someone has critically reviewed my documentation. However, I'm ready to start saving notes directly to the chart!

When I met with my supervisor this week, she said she didn't think she'd be reviewing my documentation for much longer! She said I was able to adjust really quickly to this workplace's style and I've been able to organize my notes in a format that's easy to read and concise. She might have also said something along the lines of using my format to create a template (!) but I still had the words "I won't be reviewing this much longer" ringing in my ears. What amazing feedback! It confirms again that this is the right place for me. Now if I could only find time to do all my charting...

No comments: