Thursday, August 19, 2010

Griefbursts

Some of my blogging buddies have explored the topic of grief in recent weeks. These bloggers are not a part of the palliative care or hospice community but I was struck by their words. I think each post is worth reading and you just might enjoy exploring the rest of their writing.

  • Gberger: First, I must say that Karen has been such a source of encouragement to me since I found her blog this past spring. She is a faithful commenter on this blog and has cheered me as I've started my new job. Her beautiful daughter Katie died 3 years ago this past week. Her continued exploration of loss and openness to growing and giving back is inspiring. This account of her AHA moment is not to be missed.
  • Giving Up on Perfect: After losing a loved one, Mary polled her readers on how to help a friend who's lost a loved one and then featured the helpful responses. You can spot my contributions, of course, but that's not why I'm highlighting this post!
  • Natalie Lloyd: Natalie reminisces about blackberry summers and touchingly honors her granny. "I think people we love, those who've gone on ahead, are thinking about us, celebrating over us, praying for us. I wonder if they get to catch glimpses of what we're into down here. Sometimes I like to picture Granny whooping it up somewhere on a back-porch in Glory, clapping for me and shouting, 'That's my girl!'"
  • Rachel Held Evans: I love Rachel's approach to faith and doubt. The recent loss of a family friend led to today's reflection: Doubt and the Ritual of Grief. "What I loved about the rituals of grief—the viewing, the flowers, the stories, the songs, the laughter, the sobbing, the burial—was that they forced me to keep moving, to avoid getting stuck in a place of despair...I may simply be “going through the motions,” but at least I’m moving."

2 comments:

Mary @ Giving Up On Perfect said...

Thank you so much for your link! What a great resource your blog is!!

karen gerstenberger said...

Thank you for your kind words. It's a pleasure to see you "blooming where you're planted," following your calling and growing. I'm happy for you and for your patients - you are blessing them.
Thank you for remembering Katie. Blessings to you!