Thursday, August 12, 2010

Office Politics

New jobs come with clean slates. However, it doesn't take long for some scuffs to appear. I have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know my co-workers. I work with a great bunch of people and, so far, really get along with everyone. I'm sure I will continue to get along with everyone- that tends to be my nature. Of course, as you're getting to know people, you can't help but learn about who said what, what the cliques are, and find out the latest drama. It's been educational. That said, I don't want any of the office politics to color how I view people or the organization I work for or my patients. I'm keeping the rose-colored glasses on for now.

I think it's possible to affirm where people are coming from without letting affect me and my work. I learned that lesson well when co-workers would start gripe sessions after certain meetings. I realized that I could sit and complain with them and generally feel worse afterward because nothing would change and I would just get angrier. Or I could listen, try to redirect the conversation, and focus on the positive. And when that failed, I just walked away. It definitely helped my attitude stay above board.

What about you? How do you stay above office politics? How long did your rose-colored glasses stay on?

2 comments:

Cris Lim said...

Having worked for many multinational companies in South East Asia for many years, I know where you are coming from!

As a manager by profession, I have the opportunity to help new staff integrate into the environment and most of them have something in common - ego problem.

Sometimes it can get so bad that people just apply for a few days of urgent leave. My advice always, be neutral and cheerful, and learn from mistakes honestly and try not to repeat again. Backstabbing is common, thats why I always encourage my staff to have "black and white" agreements over paper or email to protect themselves.

Cheers from Singapore!

Btrflygl said...

I try to keep the venting to a minimum, because it really can affect my mood. Sometimes I will work outside of the office as well so co-workers can't find me to bring me down ;).