Monday, September 06, 2010

Pinch me!

Are you ever going about your daily routine and the magnitude of what you do suddenly hits you? You see yourself in a particular interaction and you have to keep yourself from grinning because you get paid to do this!

This continues to happen to me on a weekly basis. I'm into my third month now and I still love it. (Talk to me again next month when on-call starts. The rose-colored glasses might start to fade by then! But even with this, compared to the amount of on-call I did before and the compensation I'll receive now, it seems doable.)

My latest pinch me moments:
-helping a teen with sickle cell and severe pain develop coping skills as another way of dealing with his pain besides medication
-meeting with the grandparents of a patient with newly diagnosed brain cancer
-explaining how SSI works when it comes to sickle cell (post to come soon)
-letting financially strapped families know about the wonderful resources available to them (brain tumor patients)
-interacting with the cutest kids
-a father of a patient (not mine) told me that the oncology wing was staffed by the most cheerful and professional people and this has made all the difference for him. Incidentally, he was a pretty cheerful person himself!

1 comment:

karen gerstenberger said...

I'm so happy for you.
I'm going to recommend your blog to a college student I know who would be enlightened to read about your work. Blessings to you!